Sunday, January 25, 2009

Wear Red on February 6th to fight heart disease. You CAN make a difference.

Next Friday, February 6th, I want to encourage all women, men, and children to Go Red For Women by celebrating National Go Red Day. Ask the majority of women (or men) out there what the number one killer of women is, and my guess is that you'll hear "cancer". They'd be wrong.

This is a subject near and dear to my heart - no pun intended. I am very closely involved with the non-medical side of the heart, and work towards training as many people as possible in CPR. For the first time in my life, I work a job (which is more than a job to me) where my actions have the ability to help save someone's life, even if it's in an indirect way. I have heard stories from my co-workers, from random customers on the telephone, and from volunteers - stories about how my organization has made a difference, even if the stories don't always have a happy ending. I tend to remember the positive stories more than the losses, but I don't forget those. Because even those losses make a difference.

I remember the day we received a note from the grieving parents not three weeks after their young son's death. It was the first time that I was brought to tears by a letter - their son was only a little older than mine, and I couldn't even fathom the type of devastation they were feeling. Even in their desperate, terrible grief, they wanted their son to be remembered and sent us a donation in his name. I still remember his name. And I still remember the selflessness of his parents. Even though I never met any of them, I will never, ever forget them.

Then there's Alex. Alex is a gentleman on the board of directors in my old office. He was the first heart transplant recipient in the area, and he taught me more than I can ever put into words. No matter how bad my day had gone, the moment he showed up for a meeting, I had a smile on my face. He is an exuberant, amazing, and inspiring man who always replied to my "How are you?" with "I'm blessed. So blessed.", and I have no doubt that he meant it every single time. I'm not an incredibly religious person, but Alex made me want to trust in God more and more every time I met him.

I love what I do. I love what my organization does. And I love the fact that one day, even my tiny little role in what we do may allow a mother to spend another twenty years with her children, or a child to achieve the wonderful dreams that his parents have for him. Even when I'm paper-pushing, I'm making a difference in someone's life, even if I may never meet them or even know that I've made that difference.

So, I urge everyone to wear red on February 6th to show your support in the fight against heart disease. Someday, when a family member is still around because of the amazing research and work done to eradicate heart disease from the world, you'll be glad you did.

2 comments:

  1. Bahhh!!!!!!!! I'm so excited to blogstalk you now! Woot woot! And I will definitely wear red on the 6th, you may have to remind me. (and I think I need to go buy a red shirt... don't think I own one.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naughty sneaky girl!

    Ok, I'll wear red. But don't blame me if I cause issues if I end up falling out of my shirt. Hmmm... Maybe I should use this as an excuse to pick up that cute one I saw at Costco.

    ReplyDelete